Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Soaking it all in- Literally and Figuratively!

Buna ziua!

It’s about time I updated from Romania, eh? J

It is Tuesday and I am now in Bucharest! So far, I have really been enjoying myself! You would think the traveling challenges of jet lag, getting accustomed to the cultural change, and not really knowing many people, would have been too much to handle in order to enjoy my time- but nope! I've been having a blast!

In Constanta last week, I met up with an American friend and his fiance who took me around. It was so nice to be able to explore and figure out the city with them! I am the type that likes to have my directions down- so you can only imagine how relieved I was once I started learning the main bus routes and understanding the city! Next thing you know, I'll blend in like any other native!

Friday, I was able to go visit Pastor Mihai and his family in Galati. They invited me to a conference and I am so glad I accepted their offer! They were great hosts and made sure my time in Galati was pleasant. The conference was with youth from all around the southeast region of Romania. Through this conference I was able to meet friendly people from both Constanta and Galati. I am SO glad that I met these great people and I look forward to developing these friendships in the next few months!  Honestly, I could not think of a better way to have spent my first weekend in Romania! 


Today I visited as much as I could with Annie, a Fulbright ETA in Iasi. Unfortunately, the weather was not in our favor, so our time to discover the city was limited. Nonetheless, we made the most of it! First, we ate at an older (and famous, from what I hear) Romanian restaurant and then walked around the city. Although it was raining, cold, and our feet were soaking wet, we persevered enough to get to Casa Poporului. J Today increased my curiosity even more to learn more about the beauty Bucharest has to offer such as its architecture, history, museums, parks, and such. I can't wait to come back- I am hoping to make it before winter!


Tomorrow, I will be attending the Fulbright orientation here in Bucharest with the other Fulbright award recipients in Romania. Afterwards, we will all travel to Constanta where we will participate at the RAAS (Romanian Association for American Studies) conference at Universitatea Ovidius. I will be meeting the Fulbright staff I have been in contact with, representatives of the U.S. Embassy such as the ambassador, as well as professors from around Romania and the U.S. who will be presenting papers at the conference. To say I am excited is an understatement! :) 

Here is a picture of  me with the Dumitrascu family:

 I thought this was hilarious. This is a car used for student drivers and the sign translates to: "You! Pay attention! I am learning right now!"

Annie and I enjoying "papanas" (pronounced pah-pah-nash)- a delicious, Romanian dessert!

In front of the History Museum. LOVE the architecture!

In front of Casa Poporului. It is one of largest buildings in the world and it was built under Ceausescu.





2 comments:

  1. Ruth. after I read all these updates from your "trip", parca si eu mis excited pentru toate chestiile ce o sa le faci prin romania. you're so lucky. deja mi-ai starnit dorul de romania. be blessed and have a good time. Corneliu Floricel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth ,it sounds like you are having the time of your life, enjoy,have fun and keep us posted.

    May god bless you.

    ReplyDelete