Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Beginning!

Exactly this time last year, I was having weekly meetings with Dr. Linda Parkyn as we worked extensively on my application for the Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) award in Romania. Six months later, on March 8, I received an e-mail with the good news- I won the award! Fast forward to today, September 27, I am currently on a flight headed for Bucharest, Romania. I can't help but look upon this past year’s events with utter gratitude!

For the next ten months I will be an ETA in Romania, specifically Constanta and Timisoara. In Constanta, I will be teaching American studies to undergraduate students at Universitatea Ovidius. Constanta is a city located in Eastern Romania near the Black Sea. Due to its location and famous beaches, Constanta is often frequented by tourists from both Romania and around the world. For the second semester, I will be teaching graduate students at Universitatea de Vest in Timisoara. Timisoara is a city located in western Romania and it is approximately 160 miles from Budapest, Hungary. It is known for being one of the cities that instigated the 1989 revolution which ended the communist regime. Timisoara is considered to be one of the more multicultural cities since it is has a strong Hungarian, German and Serbian minority presence.

I look forward to experiencing the Romanian culture through these two diverse cities. At the same time, I cannot wait to share with my students and those around me American culture. My hope is that my identity as a first generation American will add a unique dynamic to the classroom.

Although moving to a new country is not an easy task, it is such a privilege to be able to embark on this journey. I am filled with excitement and appreciation for this opportunity!



Arcul de Triumf in Bucharest


American Ambassador's Home


The university where I will be teaching.


In front of Lacul Tabacariei 


One of the more modern buildings on a main boulevard in Constanta.


The Black Sea.



Next to the Black Sea.

7 comments:

  1. ah im so proud of you my ruthie ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck ya this is awesome! Good job BLIDAR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU'RE THERE! Marea Neagra! I'm so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ruth, I'm so glad you started a blog,now we won't miss you quite as bad. Anyways,I'm sooooo proud of you, and you're so smart. Work hard, enjoy the awesome experience and don't forget I'm praying for you. Love you much. Radiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you Ruth! Have fun! Be sure to keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so great to read this blog...and I am so excited all this came together for you. You will be awesome at this work. Please know I am always a resource for you and will help in any way I can. As you get going, write any time--maybe I can provide some movie and other suggestions we talked about before. KURT PETERSON

    ReplyDelete