Monday, October 18, 2010

Learning and Relishing

Last week was quite the experience! On Wednesday we had our Fulbright orientation with all the grantees and Fulbright-Romania employees. The Fulbright employees are some of the nicest people I ever met. They would go above and beyond to make sure we are all properly taken care of. It was good to know we have such a solid support system. Thank you, Fulbright-Romania team, for your great hospitality!

It was such a thrill to meet the rest of grantees. I felt honored to be among brilliant people of various ages, interests, academic accomplishments, etc. Several times throughout the day I had to pinch myself and ask, “am I really among all of these amazing people??” I enjoyed meeting them and getting to know them. A part of me wishes we could all be in the same city! Although I do admit, that would have made it too tempting to stay within my American comfort zone. I look forward to the Fulbright holiday party in Bucharest at the beginning of December. I can’t wait to see how everyone’s projects and semesters have unfolded. I can see great things come from my fellow colleagues!

Besides meeting all these awesome people, at the orientation we were briefed by embassy officials on what is happening in Romania today. That was very interesting! As I was listening, I had a few “oooh” and “ahhh” moments. I realized that although I might be Romanian by origin, I understand the world through “American lenses.” Those who were informing us were speaking from an American perspective and I appreciated that so much because for the first time I had a different, maybe you can even say better, understanding of the culture.

Afterwards we all attended the RAAS Conference in Constanta at Universitatea Ovidius. Professors from all over Romania, and places such as Bulgaria, Turkey, Canada, and the United States presented their research on dissent in America. The U.S. Ambassador to Romania, Mark Gitenstein, who, from what I understand is the first Romanian- American ambassador, gave a speech on the topic.

It was a wonderful opportunity to be able to interact with such a variety of people!


All of us Fulbright grantees and families at the orientation in Bucharest on Wednesday.

Thursday, at the RAAS Conference at Universitatea Ovidius with the U.S. Ambassador to Romania, Mark Gitenstein, Camille Ratcliffe, and Annie Pennel.

Here the U.S. Ambassador Mark Gitenstein is giving a speech.

Out at dinner Friday night with the Fulbrighters.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying your time there, and it looks like they are keeping you busy ,I love all your pictures,thank you for keeping us up to date with what is going on around there. I hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete